A cultural and global moratorium on the word “God” might give us the time and silence we need to find our way forward at this moment in history. Since that’s unlikely, maybe we should each observe an individual moratorium on speaking the word “God.” For a limited amount of we would refrain from using the word and meditate, as honestly as we can bear to, on the following questions:
- What do you mean when you say “God”?
- What do you think most people around you mean when they say “God”?
- What do you hope when you use the word “God”?
- What do you fear when you use the word “God”?
- What word or phrase would you substitute for the word “God.”